Hallam’s Yard has been host to many businesses through the years so it was hard to choose just one! The five panels represent just five of those businesses that have occupied the space, dating all the way back from 1762.
1. The Angel Inn
2. The Globe Coffee Tavern
3. An Iron Mongers
4. A Temperance Hotel
5. A Chemist
Below are all the occupiers of the building at no.60 High Street and no. 2 Sheep Street, and the rear range, to indicate the range of activities. Dates are approximate.
The site owned by the Chamberlain family from 1700 or earlier.
1762 site of the Angel Inn, George Wharton, inn-keeper
By 1765 Abraham Chamberlain, iron monger; he died in 1796.
Abraham was probably the builder of No. 60, a house, with a large warehouse /workshops attached, no. 2 Sheep Street.
The round-arched ginnel entrance gave access to rear barn etc, and the canal.
1824 or shortly after the contents of George Chamberlain’s iron-monger’s warehouse were sold, along with ‘the good-will of the business’.
1831 Thomas Wilkinson lived in the house, [no.60 High Street until about 1853]. He was a druggist / chemist and is listed in the census for 1841 and 1851.
1853 The building was sold to James Hallam, a worsted mill owner. His name is attached to the ginnel and housing in the rear of the plot.
By 1857 – 1875 the house was a temperance hotel, owned by Ann Ellison who was also a confectioner.
After this date it was a draper’s and milliner’s [more detail could be supplied from census returns]. The house at no.60 High Street was lived in until after 1911.
1868-1880 the Skipton Industrial Co-operative Society had the premises at no. 2.
1881 the Globe Coffee Tavern was opened in the former warehouse, ie no.2 Sheep Street; still there in 1893 [O.S.map] and by 1936 it was the ‘Skipton Café’.
The twentieth century has a wide range of ‘lock-up’ shop premises, including:
1937 Jack Inman’s ‘walk-round furniture store’ on the left side of the ginnel, and c1900-1930 John Hurst Lee, boot and shoe maker on the right.